Accommodation for Students and Trainees
Your home in Hamburg

It is not so easy to find a suitable and inexpensive room in Hamburg in time for the beginning of the semester and the start of training. We therefore recommend that you inform yourself even before you receive your admission.

In our 26 housing facilities with around 4,400 places, we offer German and international students and trainees a home with an affordable all-inclusive rent. There are different types of housing, rooms in shared apartments, but also 1-person or 2-person apartments. The residents share a kitchen, a common room and the sanitary facilities.

In our Counselling Centre Accommodation we are happy to answer your questions about housing.



I am starting to study in Hamburg, how can I apply for a room?

You can apply 3 months before the desired move-in date or the start of studies. You can find more details under application information.

When do I have to apply for a place in a student residence?

You can apply up to 3 months before your desired move-in date. For more information, see application information.

Can I send the application form by post?

Only in exceptional cases (hardship application: students with chronic illnesses and/or disabilities). All others apply online. The application for admission can be filled out and sent directly.

How long do I have to wait for a place in a student residence?

We cannot give you an exact waiting time. However, we recommend that you apply for all residences, as this will give you the shortest waiting time.

Do I have to pay a deposit?

Yes, the amount of the deposit is staggered as follows:

monthly rent up to 300 € = 400 € deposit
monthly rent up to 400 € = 500 € deposit (exception Rudolf-Laun-Haus: deposit 450 €)
monthly rent up to 450 € = 600 € deposit
monthly rent up to 600 € = 700 € deposit
monthly rent from 601 € = 800 € deposit

Guests do not pay a deposit, but a key deposit of 100 € is charged and, if necessary, a final cleaning fee of 25 €.

Is it possible to rent a room for a short time (up to 6 months) for an internship or similar?

You can find more details under application information for short-term tenants.

I am an intern. Where can I stay?

You can find more details under application information for short-term tenants.


Bewerbungsinformationen für Kurzzeitmieter.

Can I also rent a room as a pupil?

Unfortunately no.

I would like to cancel, what do I have to do?

We require written notice of termination with your original signature no later than 6 weeks before the end of the month in which you wish to move out.

What do I have to bear in mind when dealing with the broadcasting fee?

To make it a little easier for you to deal with the broadcasting fee, we have compiled the most frequently asked questions/answers.  

We offer you a cable TV and internet connection free of charge; however, the broadcasting fee is not included and is therefore your own responsibility. The Studierendenwerk Hamburg - AöR cannot and must not pay the broadcasting fee for you, as this is a matter of private law. 


Question not


We are happy to help! You can also find answers in our search or under contacts.


Phone +49 / 40 / 41 902 - 268
by mail

Housing for Students and Trainees

Students and trainees find a home in our residence halls - community inclusive.


Online application
Find a new home from home
Apply now for one of our 26 residential complexes in Hamburg